Punta Gorda Florida Retirement
10 Reasons Punta Gorda is a Top Florida Retirement Destination
Punta Gorda was recently ranked among the top 10 most popular retirement destinations in the United States. This comes as no surprise to those of us already residing in this paradise – with great year-round weather and activities for everyone it is no wonder this area would be popular among those seeking Florida retirement.
- Punta Gorda is a premier Florida retirement destination with great year round weather. At 5 feet to 25 feet above sea level, Punta Gorda and all of Charlotte County enjoy a sub-tropic climate where the extremes (both summer and winter) are balanced by the tempering influence of the Gulf of Mexico creating a perfect annual average temperature of 73.9 °F.
- Punta Gorda is a charming historic city located on the southern edge of Charlotte Harbor at the mouth of the Peace River. Charlotte Harbor is the second-largest estuary in Florida, encompassing 270 square miles and there are large networks of canals throughout Punta Gorda Isles and Burnt Stores Isles offering many opportunities to own a beautiful waterfront Punta Gorda home for your Florida retirement!
- Charlotte Harbor was ranked one of the top ten places to sail by Sail magazine. With access to the Gulf of Mexico as well as both the Peace River and Myakka River, Charlotte Harbor offers endless boating opportunities for your Florida retirement.
- Charlotte Harbor is fed with fresh water from the Myakka River on its northwest corner and the Peace River on its northeast corner. This creates a system in which the water fluctuates from fresh to brackish to salt and supports more than 300 different species of fish – a fisherman’s dream!
- The Charlotte Harbor area has been ranked by Golf Digest as “Third Best Place to Live and Play Golf in America.” This comes as no surprise with the variety of public, private, and semi-private golf courses in the area. What better way to enjoy your Florida retirement than with world class golf?
- Punta Gorda is home to many species of plants, birds, and wildlife. You can often spot manatees and dolphins in the harbor, beautiful plant life throughout the city, and we even have a pair of bald eagles that nest in downtown Punta Gorda in the winter! You can spend your Florida retirement in this sub-tropic paradise enjoying the nature around you.
- Punta Gorda is home to a large variety of restaurants – everything from award winning fine dining to small establishments with beautiful views, so there will always be a fantastic place to enjoy your meals during your Florida retirement.
- There are a few hospitals convenient to Punta Gorda all offering excellent medical care. Charlotte Regional Medical Center has even been ranked in the top 5% in the nation for Cardiac Surgery and Overall Cardiac Care.
- Punta Gorda is also home to a large variety of annual community events as well as weekly events such as Think Thursday and Farmer’s Market. There are unique community events nearly every weekend so you can constantly be engaged in new activities during your Florida retirement!
- With the highest seniors as share of the total population (34.6%) and highest median age (55.5) of all of the 157 areas in the recent study by Portfolio.com, Punta Gorda already has a substantial population of seniors – making it a great place to meet diverse groups of people during your Florida retirement.
Interested in making Punta Gorda your new Florida retirement destination? Contact us or search Punta Gorda homes for sale.